Staring at a blank page trying to come up with social media content for the month can feel frustrating and daunting. If you know you have to produce social media content for your business, but don’t know where to start, here are some ways you can make the process a little easier.
Break Down the Process Step-by-Step
Planning a content calendar becomes much less intimidating when you break it down step-by-step, and plan one month at a time. Once you divide the process into manageable tasks, it will be easier to see the calendar through to completion.
- If you don’t already have one, start by finding a calendar template (or designing your own) where you will plan out your content every month.
- Use the template to plan out your overall posting strategy. How many days a week and on which days will you post? Assign particular topics to certain days. For example, on the last Friday of the month, post a testimonial. Once you have your content mapped out, filling out subsequent calendars will become a lot easier.
- Using the post ideas you came up with, write your captions for each social media channel, and note your instagram hashtags.
- Next, move onto designing the graphics for the posts. If you are not an experienced graphic designer, Canva is a great user-friendly tool to design social media posts.
- If you are working within a marketing team, send your team the calendar for review. Whatever software you use to plan your calendar should be a tool that makes it easy to collaborate with your team. Google Sheets is great for this.
- Once you have completed these steps, scheduling your posts will be an easy copy-and-paste job into whichever social media scheduler you use.
- Congratulate yourself! You’ve completed your content calendar for the month!
Other Social Media Content Calendar Tips
- Plan out your content calendar at least a month in advance so that you don’t feel rushed or overwhelmed. This also allows ample time for revisions.
- Be aware of upcoming holidays and events and post about them if they are relevant to your brand.
- Have a consistent brand look and voice.
- Look back at previous months and study your analytics. Keep what worked and revise what didn’t.
Still struggling to come up with content ideas, or simply can’t find the time to create and schedule content? Your best solution might be to work with a marketing agency like Real Content Solutions. Learn more about our services here.